Letting Agents Sheffield


Landlord Property Management Sheffield

How can Horizon Lets help me?


As a landlord, you’re spoilt for choice when it comes to the different services we can provide. Not only do we cater for all needs, from let only to full management, we also offer a reliable maintenance service with our sister company Horizon Build.

Our experience working in property management, means we understand what landlords need and expect. We can take all the hard work, administration and effort away from you and find you reliable, well referenced tenants.

Our different levels of management service range from let only to full management. But because every landlord is different, we will also be happy to tailor our management package to you if you require a service level that falls somewhere between the two levels.

We also offer a 10% discount on our fees for Military personnel with the production of an Armed Forces ID card.

Below are some extensive details about the ways we support our landlords, whether it be helping you with your first buy-to-let, or you have a whole portfolio of properties.


Different levels of property management services


LET ONLY is for you if you want the convenience of letting someone else market your property, arrange and carry out viewings, check references, and prepare the tenancy agreement. Within this service we would also collect the deposit and first month’s rent.

The Let only service means you will still be in full control of the management of your property once the tenant has moved in.

Within the FULL MANAGEMENT you will receive all the financial benefits, without having to do any of the work. Everything is taken care of, from finding you a tenant, to organising contractors if there is any maintenance work needed.

The full management package which will cover all of the following:

  • collect rent and pay it to you via an online faster payment system
  • hold the tenant’s security bond
  • supply utility readings to the relevant providers
  • carry out regular inspections of your property
  • organise contractors to attend if needed
  • provide you with the Schedules of Conditions and inventories you need prior to letting
  • let you know in good time when a tenancy is coming to an end and arrange for your property to be remarketing if you wish. If there is any wear and tear which is above acceptable levels at the end of tenancy, we can also assist with getting a deduction from the bond

If what you want doesn’t quite fit into these two categories, we will work with you to create your perfect package, with exactly the level of management you want.


What happens when you’ve found my tenant?


As soon as we’ve found your tenant, we’ll be in touch. At this stage we will need your help to organise the below items as quickly as possible:

  • the interior and exterior of property must be clean and tidy
  • any remaining personal items must be removed
  • if needed, redirect your mail via the Post Office
  • let utility companies know there will be a new occupier – it may also be worth following this up once your tenant has moved in
  • organise all keys to be passed to the tenant


What if I need work doing to my property?


We know it can be hard to find someone reliable and willing to carry out small jobs and repairs. That’s why we can take care of the maintenance for you. Our sister company Horizon Build are experienced contractors and are fully qualified, so you can be confident any work done will be to a good standard. If a tenant gets hurt in your property, you could be held responsible, so we can also visit the property before marketing and tell you what repairs (if any) will need to be done before someone can move in. It will then be your responsibility to ensure the house is clean and tidy in time for viewings and moving day.


What does being a landlord entail?


There are many legal requirements for anyone who’s going to let a property, whether you have a management service involved or not. The rules are there to protect you and the tenant, so it’s very important to follow them.

The basic information is below, but please feel free to contact us if you have any more questions. We are always happy to help!

  • If the rental property is mortgaged, you will need to check with your bank or building society that you have permission to rent it. If you own your property outright, you will just need to notify your insurance provider.

Majority of the legal part of letting concerns the safety of the tenant, and rightly so.

Firstly, all electrical and gas appliances will need safety certificates and oil and solid fuel central heating systems, as well as any gas appliances, have to be checked and serviced every year. It is also advisable to supply clear instructions on how to work the boiler, the central heating system and any other appliances. If you’ve lost the originals then you might want to write your own.

Your property will also need smoke alarms and you’ll need to get all your sockets (as well as any plugs and electrical items) safety tested to ensure they are up to the correct standard. This is something which needs to be done yearly. If you decide to supply any furniture, it will need to be fire tested – carpets and curtains are not included in this.

You will need to get an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). These provide a rating for how environmentally-friendly your property is. It is assessed on things such as how much heat is lost through the roof, and your heating and lighting systems. It doesn’t cover appliances like washing machines. Your EPC will be valid for ten years, regardless of how many times you change tenants, although everyone who moves into the property will need to be given a copy of the EPC.

All these regulations are important, particularly as some of them can result in a fine or prison sentence if breached.

Don’t worry, we will go through everything with you thoroughly when you start working with us!


Is there anything else I need to think about?


Yes. You’ll need to check whether or not your property is classed as multiple occupancy. This applies to homes with a minimum of three storeys, at least five tenants, living in two separate households. In this context, a household is defined as: any two people living together as a couple, whether married or in a civil partnership or not; relatives living together, including parents, grandparents, children, step-children, grandchildren, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces or cousins.

If this applies to you, you need to get a Houses with Multiple Occupancy (HMO) license. If you’re still not sure whether you need one, contact your local authority, as failing to register is a criminal offence with a fine of up to £20,000. Find out more about HMOs here: www.propertylicense.gov.uk.


Horizon Letting Services


The Horizon Group