Letting Agents Sheffield


Why do I need to be referenced?

The landlord needs to be sure that their tenant won’t have any problems paying the rent on a monthly basis and that the tenant will take good care of their property.

What does referencing involve?

Referencing is nothing to worry about. Tenants applying to rent need to give details of their employer and income, their previous address and some bank account details. These will be checked to ensure they are able to commit to monthly payments.

Do I need to show ID?

In order to satisfy Right to Rent legislation, we will need to check certain ID and confirm a tenant is who they say they are. We will require a proof of residency such a utility bill or bank statement and proof of ID such as passport and driving license. This will be needed for all proposed tenants.

What if there is a problem with my reference?

In some circumstances a tenant may not be approved, obvious examples are somebody with a regular income or somebody leaving their family home for the first time with no rental history. This is not uncommon and there are still options for tenants in this position with the landlord’s agreement.

What is a guarantor?

If a tenant is not fully approved by the referencing process, they can ask a guarantor to support their tenancy. A guarantor will agree to take responsibility for the rent if the tenant fails to pay. Guarantors are required to pay and rent arrears if the tenant does not and is also responsible for any damages costing more than the deposit.

What is a tenancy agreement?

The tenancy agreement is a legal agreement between the landlord and the tenant. It explains the rights and responsibilities that the various parties have.

What is the difference between a periodic and a fixed term tenancy?

A fixed-term tenancy agreement has a term which runs for and both parties are tied into the agreement legally until the end of the timeframe stated whereas a periodic tenancy is a month by month agreement where either party can give notice to end the tenancy – these notice periods would be one month from the tenant and two months from the landlord.

Why do I have to pay a deposit?

The landlord trusts the tenant to keep the property in good order and the deposit is held to ensure that any damage which does happen can be rectified if needed.

What will happen to my deposit?

Your deposit will be registered with a Tenancy Deposit Scheme by Horizon Lets. The deposit will be held by the scheme that it is registered with.

Who is responsible for arranging the insurance for the property?

The owner is responsible for arranging building insurance for the property. The tenant is responsible for arranging their own contents insurance for the duration of their tenancy.

Who is responsible for repairs during my tenancy?

The tenant would be responsible for the general wear and tear of the property such as decoration and any natural damage caused however the landlord would be responsible for repairs which are more property based such as pipework, boiler, appliances, building works.

What do I do if I have a maintenance issue and need a contractor to attend?

You can either ring or email Horizon Lets with a detailed description of the issue which needs looking at so we can send the relevant contractor who will be able to see to the repair.

What is an inspection?

A regular, scheduled visit to the property to make sure that it is being looked after and maintained in a good condition. Any maintenance issues will also be looked at.

What do I do if I suspect I have a mains gas leak in the property?

If you suspect a mains leak you will need to ring your gas board immediately and ask for somebody to attend. You will also need to let Horizon Lets know so we can inform the landlord.

What do I do if I want to have a pet?

Your first port of call would be to contact Horizon Lets and let us know the sort/number of pet/s you are wanting to have, we will then speak to your landlord and try to obtain permission.

What do I do if I am feel I am going to fall into arrears?

You need to contact Horizon Lets immediately when you are aware there is likely to be an issue so that we can make your landlord aware and if needs be we will come to an arrangement with your landlord to help to avoid arrears building up.

What do I do if I want to decorate my rental property?

Permission in writing will be needed before carrying out any works at the property yourself. If you email hello@horizonlets.com with a detailed description of what you are wanting to do we can try and obtain permission from your landlord for you.

Can I move my rent payment date?

If you need to change your rent date you will need to contact Horizon Lets so we can speak to the landlord and also work out a pro-rata payment if needed to cover an interim period.

Can I have a guest stay with me?

You may have guests stay at the property for a maximum of three weeks per year. You may not charge any money to the guests as this would result in a “sublet” which is forbidden in your tenancy agreement.

Can I use my deposit money to pay my last months’ rent?

Your deposit money is by law to be held in an approved scheme and is to reimburse the landlord for damage to the property, rent arrears and other tenant liabilities that are outstanding at the end of a tenancy. It cannot be used as a rent payment during the tenancy without the specific permission of the landlord. Failing to pay the last month of your rent will result in your being in arrears.

I have lost the key for my property – what do I do?

Speak to us and a replacement will be organised for you – this may incur costs to yourself.

When do the bins get collected?

The bins are collected by the local authority on a weekly basis. We do not have information for every area to provide you with the collection days, however, if you check on the website for the relevant authority then the information should be easily obtainable.

Can I leave early?

The tenant is legally responsible for the rent for the full term of the tenancy, however, if special circumstances mean you have to leave the property early we would request that you discuss this with us straight away so we are able to come to an agreement with your landlord if possible.

Who pays for the utilities?

All utilities such as gas, electricity, water, telephone and council tax are the tenant’s responsibility. When you move into the property we will provide you with the information we have regarding relevant providers.

How do I pay my rent?

When you sign the tenancy agreement we will ask you to set up a standing order from your bank to us monthly on the appropriate date.

What happens at the end of my tenancy?

Once your tenancy has ended and your keys have been returned your deposit will be returned provided the property has been left in an acceptable manner. If there are any deposit deductions needed these will be discussed with you by Horizon Lets and the balance of the deposit after these deductions will be returned to you.


The Horizon Group