Letting Agents Sheffield


What is an ESW1 form?

It is a form introduced by UK Finance & RICS Intended to record the risk posed by the external wall construction of residential apartment buildings, where the highest floor is 18 metres or above or where specific concerns exist.

How can I get an EWS1 form?

The first step is to have a full report undertaking of the external wall structure, from these findings it will establish if section A1-A3 can be completed or a further Fire Engineers report is required to complete section B1-B2.

How much does an EWS1 form cost?

The cost will vary depending on location, size, complexity, access restrictions, number of different types of cladding and other contributing factors. Each proposal is tailored to the requirements of the specific building.

My building is not above 18 metres tall, why does my buyer /lender need an EWS1 form?

The form details that it may be requested “where specific concerns exist” upon discussions with lenders, they have quote the mandatory building regulation B4(1) which has no height restriction.

Building regulation B4(1) states: “the external walls of the building shall adequately resist the spread of fire over the walls and from one building to another, having regard to the height, use and position of the building.”

How long is an ESW1 form valid for?

5 years from the date of issue.

Why is an intrusive survey to the external walls required?

It is important to understand the through – wall construction of the external walls. To obtain the suitable level of detail, including that of the inner leaf and to ascertain specifics within the system, instructive works are generally undertaken. 

All apertures are filled with non-combustible insulation, sealed with waterproof mastic and covered with a mechanically fixed aluminium paste to prevent ingress.


The Horizon Group